Wednesday 2 October 2013

Salmon Sushi To Go

I love sushi. I really love sushi. But I've never been too keen on making it. I think I'm just nervous about serving raw fish. But I came across this recipe which you can serve with either raw or cooked salmon so I thought I'd give it a go. 



What you'll need:

  • 1 salmon fillet
  • 1/4 box of sushi rice
  • 1 sheet nori
  • 1 avocado
  • Wasabi paste
  • Soy sauce
  • Slice of lime
(Serves 1)

First off, collect your ingredients. There is no such thing as salmon grade sushi. A normal fillet you can buy from the supermarket is fine. If you are eating it raw, freeze it first and then defrost it but for this recipe I think it's better cooked. You can get sushi rice, nori and wasabi in any big supermarket and it normally looks like this:


Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. About a quarter of the box is fine for one person. Usually you cover the rice with water, boil for 10 minutes and then leave with the lid on for half an hour. While that's going on you can cook the salmon. The best way (I think) is to poach it in milk for roughly three minutes on each side. If you throw in a slice of lime as well the milk will split but this is fine.

  
Cut into chunks or flake and put in a normal tupperware with the sushi rice which by now should be nice and sticky.


Mix together the wasabi and the soy sauce in a small water tight tub and keep this separate. This is all a matter of taste, use as much or as little wasabi and you like. Crumble the nori into another small tub and keep the avocado whole until you get to work. 

If there are no mishaps along the way layer rice, nori, avocado and salmon, drizzle over the sauce and you are good to go. 


Let me know if you go for raw or cooked salmon. x

No comments:

Post a Comment