Saturday 13 December 2014

Exploring the Old Town

Oh my gosh. We had the best nights sleep in a long time. The beds at the hotel were so comfy! After (reluctantly) getting out of bed and rolling down to breakfast we wrapped up and headed out to explore the town. Our first stop was the Rheinturm tower on the edge of the river. We each paid 5 Euros and took the lift up the 167 floors to the top. Now, I'm not going to lie, I'm not great with heights, even inside. You wouldn't catch me standing near the edge of the window, my legs just go all wobbly, but I still got some pretty good shots of the foggy city from a few feet back.



Feeling more than a little relieved to be back down at (almost) sea level we figured it was high time to go find some more food. I wanted to find an authentic chocolatier and opposite a bakery with the best window display I've ever seen, we found just that. A gingerbread hot chocolate and a gooey slice of chocolate cake seemed only polite.






Today seemed to be mostly about food... I've probably put on half a stone just writing this all up. Bit we spent a few hours browsing the stalls - German Christmas decorations are the best but aren't half expensive! Plenty of soaps, candles and gingerbread adorned the lines of wooden huts, I'll definitely be back for some Christmas presents. Feeling a little peckish we stopped off for a Glühwein and a Raclette cheese toast. A raclette, if you've never seen one, is an amazing thing. A huge cheese is kept under the a grill so it's just the perfect consistency for scooping onto bread. For dinner we went to a delicious seafood restaurant and of course Rich had to get oysters! Washed down with lots more Glühwein in cute cups and a couple of pints of German beer we spent Friday night wandering in and out of the various bars along in the Altstadt (Old Town).






No comments:

Post a Comment